Director, People Business Partner
Administration, People & HR
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2024
Our mission is to increase the success rate of small businesses. Traditional banking has been a growth limiter rather than a growth enabler for business owners, and we’re changing that. Relay is the all-in-one, collaborative money management platform. We’re building for employer SMBs and their finance function, internal and external, and are focused on delivering a human-centric customer experience. Ultimately, we help SMBs be ‘on the money'.
A Director, PBP acts as a trusted and strategic advisor, coach, and change agent to senior leadership and managers for the functions they support. You are embedded in teams to ensure and ensure we hire, retain and elevate incredible people to do the best work of their careers. You are the guide in making sure we build and maintain a world-class team that is humble, hardworking and always learning while having a ton of fun along the way.
This role will be supporting our Business Pod, which includes Sales, Marketing, G&A and CX team. You will lead a People team pod comprised of talent acquisition and people operations team members.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Acts as a trusted partner: Forms effective relationships with the team’s they support to deliver the business results by providing People guidance and enablement. Primary counterpart is the function leader and any managers that work with that lead.
- Serve as a coach: Mentors, coaches and provides feedback to managers at all levels; also mentors other People team members.
- Leverage data: Constantly gathers data to aid in trend analysis and gain insight to contribute to solutions, programs, and opportunities for learning, but also spends time gathering qualitative inputs via 1:1s and other means
- Drive strategic people work forward to deliver impact: Partner with senior leadership on a wide range of matters, including management development, team member engagement programs, and organizational design. Develop and drive People programs and processes from start to finish that are consistent/ align with Relay’s goals and values, but that can be tailored to account for the specific team's stage and needs. You will adapt program timelines and even deliverables to ensure meaningful results
- Lead a Team: As a pod owner, you will have 3 direct reports whose career path at Relay you will be responsible for developing. You drive results through a unique mix of managing and doing given our stage and growth trajectory.
- Help build a world class People Team and Relay: Identify great talent, internally and externally, who will raise the bar on the team. Collaborate with their teams to ensure a high bar for performance.
Who You Are:
- Strong communicator & people leader: We are enabling a team that is impact driven and moving fast. Giving context and being able to connect and communicate with teams over various channels must be a core strength. You have an empathetic and authentic voice. You are able to unblock your team whenever possible and help guide your pod through ambiguity and high growth.
- Experienced: You’ve seen enough patterns and scenarios to help guide teams. You understand the tradeoffs at different growth stages and inflection points and are comfortable evaluating impact knowing everything at once is not possible.
- Nimble & Creative: You don’t default to old playbooks or follow a cut and paste model. You will adapt and revise based on what you’ve learned and continuously refine to make sure it’s best in class and relevant for Relayer as we evolve as a business and team. You don’t believe in “process” for the sake of checking off a box; instead you are focused on impact and results. Therefore you’re very comfortable with the pivot, if the impact is not there.
- High Ownership: You have a deep understanding of our broader business and the work of the team(s) you support. You are embedded in the team you partner with on the people side. As an example, we don’t use the word “client group” in our People Business Partner team. This is non a consulting project and you are not an advisor. You are embedded in that team. You are a part of the team and you’re critical in making sure great people are brought on board and that awesome folks stay on the Relay journey and do the best work of their careers.
- Bar Raiser: You believe in getting better 1% everyday and never stop seeking opportunities to learn; you don’t settle for mediocrity. Making people around you better brings you joy and a deep sense of accomplishment.
Research shows that women-identifying and other marginalized individuals tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications; if you don't have all the listed qualifications, we encourage you to apply anyway!
Our Commitment To You:
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity: every team member gets a piece of the pie.
- Comprehensive health benefits: we offer full health benefits + an HSA/WSA starting from day 1 so you get the coverage you need.
- Considerable vacation/end-of-year holiday shutdown: we take time off to reset and recharge so we come back better for our customers.
- Hybrid working environment: we love collaborating and connecting in office two times a week and offer bi-weekly catered lunches and a snack/beverage program for the days we’re in office.
- Personal and professional growth: support from leaders who care about your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching. Our goal is to make Relay a step-change career opportunity.
- Top-tier equipment: we’ll make sure you have everything you need to produce your best work.
- Team-first culture: we’re passionate about working collaboratively, bonding through team events, and most importantly having fun.
The Interview Process:
- Stage 1: A 30-minute Google Meets video call with a member of the Talent team
- Stage 2: A 30-minute Google Meets video call with the VP People & Customer Experience
- Stage 3: A 60-minute in-person white boarding session on a specific initiative we are tackling. Bring it into a real-world setting and partner together on solutioning.
- Stage 4: A take-home case study + writing sample, followed by a 60-minute presentation of your solution to our Leadership team
- Stage 5: A 45-minute Google Meets video call with a member of the Leadership team
What’s Important to Us:
At Relay, we believe that diversity is key to building high-performing teams, and creating an inclusive work environment is our priority. We are an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will work with applicants to provide accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations during the interview process, please email your People Team contact, and we will work with you to meet your needs.