Accounting Operations Lead
About the Opportunity
Settle is hiring an Accounting Operations Lead. As an early member of the finance team at Settle, you will help build and execute scalable processes to automate our month-end close. Settle is a fintech company on a mission to empower small businesses to take control of their cashflow.
We’re looking for an exceptional manager-level individual contributor with experience in both data automation and accounting. You will be responsible for identifying data and reporting solutions to help automate accounting reconciliations supporting month-end close, preparing loan and cash activity reconciliation and key financial reports, and ensuring revenue is recognized in accordance with US GAAP. You will work at the intersection of our accounting, finance, operations and data teams, to implement robust automated solutions as we continue to scale the business. This role reports to our Controller and works closely with our VP Finance.
How You’ll Make an Impact
- Extracting and reconciling financial data from multiple sources, including bank transaction data, payment processor data, internal databases, and accounting software
- Ensuring data accuracy by performing detailed analysis and reconciliation, and resolving exceptions by providing scalable solutions to stop occurrences
- Developing a comprehensive understanding of the processes that currently exist and how to automate and iterate upon them in the future
- Developing a deep understanding of the Company data schemas and data tables to automate accounting reporting and reconciliations
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams (ex. Engineering, Data, Capital Markets) to understand business requirements and develop solutions to address reporting and reconciliation automation, including internal tool development and/or implementation of third party tools
- Developing and maintaining documentation of reconciliation processes and procedures
- Maintaining existing and developing new SQL queries to extract transaction data
- Utilizing ledger and internal databases to post journal entries as part of the month-end close process for revenue recognition
- Performing other procedures to assist with month-end close, including reconciliations, posting journal entries, and performing flux analysis
- Assisting with preparing data and information to the external auditors, as needed
What Sets You Apart
- 4+ years of experience in accounting, accounting operations, or data analytics within an accounting department
- Advanced proficiency in SQL, with a minimum of 1 year experience is required
- Experience at a Big 4 or large regional accounting firm
- Experience working in lending, financial services, or fintech industries
- Experience with database design, understanding complex data schemas and data extraction
- Ability to work with large data sets to automate reconciliation processes
- Knowledge of accounting principles, month-end close, and financial statements, particularly accounting for loans, revenue and SPVs
- Direct experience performing detailed and data intensive reconciliations with disparate datasets
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams
- Organized, detailed, proactive, self-motivated, collaborative, multi-tasker, and creative problem-solver
- High integrity and ability to handle confidential information
- You thrive in small, collaborative, and ambiguous environments
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, Computer Science or related field, bonus points for CPA
- Experience with Quickbooks, Netsuite, Excel and other analytical tools
This role has an annual starting salary range of $130,000 - $180,000 + equity + benefits. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to your individual skills and experience.
Who We Are
Settle is a FinTech company on a mission to help businesses thrive by taking the worry out of cash flow management. We’re building software making it super easy for e-comm teams to track inventory, place orders, make payments, and reconcile invoices. We pair that with lending products to offer our customers the power and flexibility to choose who, when, and how to pay their customers.
Our small but growing team was founded in San Francisco along with an engineering hub in Lviv, Ukraine. We’re building a fully distributed team and support you working from wherever you are. We're well funded (Series-B) with backing by Ribbit, Stripes, Kleiner Perkins, Founder’s Fund, SciFi Ventures, and others. Our benefits are competitive, our time off is flexible, and our compensation packages include equity.
Our Commitment to You
At Settle we know that cultivating diversity and fostering an inclusive work environment is critical to our impact and success. We create an environment where no individual is advantaged or disadvantaged because of their background. We offer equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.
With a commitment to maintaining a bias-free environment in which harassment is prohibited, we respect cultural diversity and comply with the laws of the places in which we operate. We expect our business partners, suppliers, clients, and all of our team members to uphold these commitments.