Product Design Lead
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2023
Our mission is to increase the success rate of small businesses. Traditional banking has been a growth limiter rather than a growth enabler for business owners, and we’re changing that. Relay is the all-in-one, collaborative money management platform. We’re building for employer SMBs and their finance function, internal and external, and are focused on delivering a human-centric customer experience. Ultimately, we help SMBs be ‘on the money'.
At Relay, our Product team is responsible for shaping our small business banking platform. We talk to customers constantly, dive deep into the challenges they face running their businesses and work together with them to build helpful, delightful tools & financial services. Examples from the last year include automated savings accounts & expense management.
We’re looking for a Product Design Lead to help design the future of SMB banking – and the future of the Design function at Relay. You’ll be joining a design team of one so you’ll have a massive impact and work closely with our product team to shape upcoming features.
What You'll Be Doing
- Participate in the end-to-end cycle of new projects of every scale. This includes discovery research, prototyping and leading usability testing, monitoring results, and iterating appropriately
- Be a key driver in defining our design and product team's culture, rituals and activities
- Mentor junior designers and help grow our product design team
- Help nurture a culture of customer understanding, where we are curious to hear from our customers and want to deeply understand their problems
- Work with product managers to define problems and come up with solutions. We encourage designers to challenge PMs assumptions and requirements along the way
- Infuse the digital experience with delightful moments our customers will love
Who You Are
- You have 5+ years experience working in Product Design
- User research is central to your design practice. This can include reviewing customer feedback, setting up and conducting interviews on your own, and making data-informed decisions with help from our data team
- You are a clear writer and can draft in-app product copy in collaboration with our Product Marketing team
- You value transparency by sharing work early, involving the right stakeholders at the appropriate times, and being receptive to design critiques and feedback
- You can design supporting assets like icons, motion graphics & illustrations
- You're skilled with Figma and other whiteboarding tools like Figjam or Miro
Our Commitment to You:
- Hybrid work environment: we love collaborating and connecting in office two times a week and offer catered lunches and a snack/beverage program for the days we’re in office. Don’t forget to bring in your furry friends!
- Personal and professional growth: support from leaders who care about your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching. Our goal is to make Relay a step-change career opportunity.
- Top-tier equipment: we’re a Mac environment and we’ll make sure you have everything you need to produce your best work.
- Team-first culture: we’re passionate about working collaboratively, bonding through team events, and most importantly having fun.
The Interview Process:
- Stage 1: A 30-minute Google Meets video call with a member of the People team.
- Stage 2: A 60-minute Portfolio review & discussion via Google Meets with our Product Lead and our Head of Engineering (the hiring manager)
- Stage 3: A 60-minute whiteboarding session with two members of our Product team.
- Stage 4: A 30-minute conversation with Yoseph, our CEO
Research shows that women-identifying and other marginalized individuals tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications. If you don't have all the listed qualifications, we encourage you to apply anyway, and together we'll figure out if this is the best role for you!
What’s Important to Us:
At Relay, we believe that diversity is key to building high-performing teams, and creating an inclusive work environment is our priority. We are an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will work with applicants to provide accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations during the interview process, please email your People Team contact, and we will work with you to meet your needs.