Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2023
Our mission is to increase the success rate of small businesses. Traditional banking has been a growth limiter rather than a growth enabler for business owners, and we’re changing that. Relay is the all-in-one, collaborative money management platform. We’re building for employer SMBs and their finance function, internal and external, and are focused on delivering a human-centric customer experience. Ultimately, we help SMBs be ‘on the money'.
We’re looking for an incredible Senior Site Reliability Engineer to join our Trust team. Your love of making high-impact decisions daily and desire to help shape the future of Relay is going to be crucial. The team’s vision is “Protecting the cathedral while enabling the bazaar” - quite a challenge in the scope of our multiple environments.
*Please note that we have a hybrid environment and choose to collaborate in the Toronto office twice a week.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Join the team owning our production infrastructures (AWS, Kubernetes, PostgreSQL databases, Terraform, Terragrunt)
- Review infrastructure change requests, and triage & fix high-risk security and privacy issues in infrastructure components
- Write playbooks, and run game days and threat modelling
- Build monitoring systems to dynamically assess the infrastructure health
- Improve our data repositories (db, warehouse, lake) posture: engine upgrade, zero-downtime migrations, privacy taggings
- Provide guidance and mentoring for the rest of the team and help evolve Relay into a world-class security-oriented organization
- Participate in the on-call rotation
Who You Are:
- You have 5+ years of experience working in a DevOps or SRE role
- You have experience as an SRE working with these technologies: AWS, Datadog, Github, GHA, k8s, etc.
- You have experience as a DBA (Aurora RDS, PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, ElastiCache)
- You have experience with Terraform, Terragrunt, Node.js, Typescript
- You have a strong security and operation focus; we are looking for someone to help us continue building security into every aspect of our work - and is ready to be on-call for production issues
- You are a team player - our team is small and mighty, and we collaborate constantly - we want someone who is always willing to pitch in and isn’t afraid to ask for help
- You are curious. You keep yourself on the bleeding edge of infrastructure best practices.
- You live in Toronto or the GTA; we work in the office two days a week!
- Show us your home lab! We have Ubiquity gears everywhere and we like to geek-out on our k8s clusters that control in-house experience
- Send us your HackerOne account id - Security permeates everything we are doing
- You’ve joined a company at its early stages and have seen it through scale
- You have experience working in a fintech startup
Our SRE Tech Stack:
- Container Orchestration: Kubernetes, ArgoCD, ECS
- Cloud Platform: AWS (DynamoDB, RDS Postgres, Lambda, S3, SQS, SNS, SES, ElasticSearch, ECS, EKS, AND MORE)
- Monitoring: Datadog
- IAC: Terraform/Terragrunt
- Tools: Github, GHA, Cloudflare
Our Commitment To You:
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity: every team member gets a piece of the pie.
- Comprehensive health benefits: we offer full health benefits + an HSA/WSA starting from day 1 so you get the coverage you need.
- Considerable vacation/end-of-year holiday shutdown: we take time off to reset and recharge so we come back better for our customers.
- Hybrid work environment: we love collaborating and connecting in the office two times a week and offer catered lunches and a snack/beverage program for the days we’re in office. Don’t forget to bring in your furry friends!
- Personal and professional growth: support from leaders who care about your growth and success through regular feedback and coaching. Our goal is to make Relay a step-change career opportunity.
- Top-tier equipment: we’ll make sure you have everything you need to produce your best work.
- Team-first culture: we’re passionate about working collaboratively, bonding through team events, and most importantly having fun.
The Interview Process:
- Stage 1: A 30-minute Google Meets video call with a member of the Talent Team
- Stage 2: A 45-minute Google Meets video call with the SRE Lead
- Stage 3: A 60-minute case study presentation with members of the Trust team
- Stage 4: A 30-minute Google Meets video call with the Head of Engineering and Co-Founder
Research shows that women-identifying and other marginalized individuals tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications; if you don't have all the listed qualifications, we encourage you to apply anyway!
What’s Important to Us:
At Relay, we believe that diversity is key to building high-performing teams, and creating an inclusive work environment is our priority. We are an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome people of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
We will work with applicants to provide accommodations at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations during the interview process, please email your People Team contact, and we will work with you to meet your needs.