Belltower Funds | Tax Senior Manager
Posted on Wednesday, June 7, 2023
About AngelList & Belltower Funds:
We exist to accelerate innovation by increasing the number of successful startups in the world. We want to give more people the opportunity to participate in the venture economy by building the financial infrastructure that makes it possible for more people to invest in world changing startups, and build tools for startups that help them run their operations so they can focus on building.
AngelList is the nexus of venture capital and the startup community. We support over $14B+ in assets under management. We’ve driven capital to over 12,000 startups, almost 282 of which are unicorns. 57% of top-tier U.S. VC deals involve investors on AngelList.
While our scale is large, our ambitions are even larger – we’re innovating on the financial infrastructure for venture investors and the startups they invest in. Come build with us.
About the Role:
The Tax Tax Senior Manager, in close partnership with the Tax Director, is responsible for driving federal and state income tax compliance for 15,000+ funds run on AngelList. The Senior Manager is a subject matter expert in venture capital federal tax compliance. The Senior Manager will perform technical reviews of work that is not yet automated and which is still currently prepared manually, sanity check work that has been automated, identify and resolve tax-related exceptions, and address investor questions. The senior manager will help develop less experienced tax team members.
The second part of the job is to help Belltower scale through product and process design. This requires understanding where our data currently is and how it is populated, understanding the relevant tax laws, and then defining how the tax rules should be applied to our data to arrive at outputs for tax reporting. This role is open for most locations in the US, but not California.
The Tax Senior Manager will report to the Tax Director. The Senior Manager will work with other tax team members, members of the engineering team, and other cross-functional operations teams.
They will review transactions where there could be tax reporting implications, participate in product testing for new products supporting tax and other functional teams, and identify opportunities to improve the efficiency and service offerings of the tax department.
- Review taxable income analysis and calculations
- Supervise and mentor less experienced tax team members
- Drive tax communications, both internally and externally
- Drive annual tax compliance
- Identify, design, and implement process and product improvements
- Coordinate contractor support
- 10+ years of tax experience working in the broader asset management sector, with focused experience in the venture capital or private equity space
- Experience with preparing and reviewing federal partnership returns, calculating waterfalls, and reviewing partnership agreements
- Experience identifying compliance obligations related to outbound foreign investments, state income tax returns and foreign inbound investor reporting obligations
- Deep experience with process improvement and automation
If you don’t tick every box above, we’d still encourage you to apply. We’re building a diverse team whose skills balance and complement one another.
Belltower Funds is a remote-first entity. This position is fully remote for anyone in the United States.
AngelList has offices in three hub cities: San Francisco, Seattle, and New York City that you have the option to work from.
Benefits: We support our employees in their lives both inside and outside of work.
* See additional detail on our benefits here: https://angell.ist/venture-benefits
* Learn about our Funders & Founders Program here: https://join.angellist.com/
Learn more about what AngelList has accomplished by checking out some recent things we’ve published over the last six months: AngelList Year in Review 2022 (https://www.angellist.com/2022) and AngelList Confidential 2022 (https://angell.ist/ALC2022).
AngelList is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.